Pages

Subscribe:

Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Industry Has Got Us Duped

There are a lot of useless things on the baby market. Some of them are obvious and some are things we believe we need.

While I was pregnant I shopped and shopped for the perfect bedding set. I bought one online and was convinced this was the one. I then decided 2 weeks before having Malia that this one did not feel right. I purchased another set. I could not return the other set so I was stuck with two sets. I just couldn't imagine bringing Malia into the world with out the perfect bedding set. This was most likely my nesting hormone but still.

When Malia was a newborn she slept in a bassinet at the end of our bed. No need for a bedding set. So weeks went by no need for this bedding set I had shopped and agonized over.

She was two months it was time for her to go to her own crib. We had a doctors appointment and I was talking about her being in her own crib. Then my pediatrician informed me that bumper pads were not safe in her crib.

Crib bedding without bumper pads is basically a dust ruffle and a crib sheet. You pay ridiculous prices for these sets and in the end all you use is a dust ruffle and a crib sheet. I just don't see how this is worth it.

My advice to all you expectant mothers just buy a dust ruffle and a crib sheet and save the money! THIS IS NOT SOMETHING YOU NEED IN THE END.

3 comments:

  1. So true! I have a changing pad set and I haven't used it once! I just end up changing her on the floor, bed, pretty much any where that is closest at the time. I think my matra as a new mom is simplify, simplify, simplify. I hate having all this unused "fancy" baby things that I never use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't buy all the fancy baby equipment for my first. We had no money but got a used crib for $20 and called it good. That boy never slept in that crib his whole life.
    Fast forward 14 yrs later and my cousin is pregnant with her first--very exciting because this has been 10 yrs in the making. So I can understand she wants to make the most of it BUT... when I get an email from her mom asking for "donations" for her $650 crib (yea--that's just the crib--no bedding) right smack in the middle of the crisis beginning in Haiti. (And hello! We live in UTAH--land of babies galore--you can find it cheaper!)
    I think I'll save my donations for other causes.
    So bottom line, I completely agree. Save the money and wait to see what you really end up needing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lot for a crib if you are asking for donations. You can get cribs for a lot less than that! Garage sale it!

    ReplyDelete