Pages

Subscribe:

Friday, April 9, 2010

The Binkie Battle

The Beginning: There we were with our brand new precious little girl. We had it all planned out how it was going to go with everything. Down to wether or not she was going to be a thumb sucker and we had voted no. We had researched all the best binkies and had already purchased them. I had packed them nicely in her hospital bag. I thought that was going to be the easy part.

The first day we had decided not to give her a binkie ( maybe thats where I went wrong I doubt it though). The second day rolled around and we pulled our binkie case out and tried to give a binkie to her. This did not go as planned. She wouldn't suck it and it would just fall out of her mouth. There was nothing I could do to entice her to suck that binkie.

I continued to try to get her to take a binkie over the next couple of weeks. I tried every binkie on the market and nothing seemed to work. We finally used the new born binkies that look like little thumbs she would suck that one for like a minute and then spit it out.

The Turning Point: Malia was 2 weeks old and still hadn't taken a binkie really. I came in one day and looked at my precious daughter in her bassinet. To my surprise she had her thumb in her mouth! She was sucking her thumb! This was unacceptable she was not going to be a thumb sucker.

So then we started our battle we would take her thumb out and try to give her a binkie. She would then cry spit it out and put her thumb back in. We went on like this until she was 4 months old.

The Final Battle: We were on a plane to Hawaii to visit my parents. I had forced Malia to take a binkie on the plane. When I looked down at her and she had stuck her thumb in the little hole in her binkie and she was sucking her thumb threw her binkie! I gave up right there. Malia was born a thumb sucker and there was nothing I could do about it.

3 comments:

  1. hahahaha! sorry, but that was funny to me. i tried and tried to get my kids to take a binky. Not one of them would. None of them sucked their thumb either. Go figure.

    Good luck breaking her of the thumb habit! At least you don't have to worry about finding lost binkies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Anna is a thumb sucker. I tried to get her to take the binky but she didn't care about it. And thus, THIS poem by Shel Silverstein:

    "Oh the Thumbsucker's thumb,
    Might look wrinkled and wet,
    and withered and white as the snow,
    But the taste of a thumb,
    is the sweetest taste yet,
    as only we thumbsuckers know".

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a cute poem I should put that in her baby book with a picture of her sucking her thumb

    ReplyDelete